OUR FUTURE, NATURE’S FUTURE, AND SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY
Fred Bass, MD, MSci, DSci will offer an introduction to synthetic biology and related issues, followed by discussion with the audience.
Given the accelerating investment, research, and development of synthetic biology; its profound capacity to change life by manipulating genetic structures and processes; and its great potential for good or for harm, this information session will address:
- What is synthetic biology?
- How well is it known and regarded by the general public?
- What regulation is there for research, development, and production in synthetic biology?
- Since synthetic biology deals with DNA and the fundamental building blocks of life, and would replace the mechanisms of evolution, what is the evidence that humans have the knowledge, skill, and capacity to manage it?
- Why have governments done so little to manage the development of synthetic biology and what action from citizens might be indicated?
We plan two presentations:
30 OCTOBER 2016, 1:00 pm
QUAKER MEETING HOUSE
1090 West 70th Ave.
16 NOVEMBER 2016, 6:15 pm
Vancouver Public Library
Oakridge Centre, 191-650 41st Ave